Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Inspired

I am being honored at a luncheon Friday by a group called Inspire Women . Their goal is to equip and provide training for women to use the gifts that God has given them for His purposes. They raise scholarship money as well as provide leadership training for women in ministry. They have inspired women across our city to plug in and use their talents here and around the world.  I'm not sure exactly why they have chosen me to be one of their honorees this year, but I am humbled and honored by their recognition.



In thinking about the goal of Inspire Women, to "invest in women who change the world", it made me look back at my life at those who have inspired me. Here are a few of those who have invested in my life:

  • My Grandmother - If you follow my blog, you've already read about my Grandmother and her legacy in my life.
  • My Parents - My parents have always encouraged me to pursue my dreams. They believe in me.
  • Mrs. Leon - Mrs. Leon was my high school Spanish teacher. She was an amazing teacher and she instilled in me a love of the Spanish language and latin culture.
  • Art and Mary - These two were the student pastors at my church when I was in high school. They didn't have great training, skills, or experience, but they made up for it with their compassion and their unconditional acceptance of everyone they came into contact with. Their example made an impact on me.
  • Mark - For 26 years Mark has been pointing me to Jesus and encouraging me to live a life of complete devotion to Him. He is honest with me, he always encourages me, and he believes in me.
  • My kids - My kids have always inspired me to dig deeper, to learn more, to try harder, and to be better. They don't even know they do it! 
Webster's defines the word "inspire" in the following way: to influence, move, or guide by divine or supernatural inspiration. 

Who are those people in your life who inspire you and make you better? Take time to let them know!

Chemo update:  
I finished round three of chemo today. I have the usual expected side effects - nausea, diarrhea, hand and leg cramping, cold-sensitive mouth and throat, tingling lips, twitching eyes, hiccups, fatigue, and aching bones. The good news is that I know it is only a matter of a few days and then I will be feeling much better! And the even better news is that I am now officially 1/4 of the way finished with my chemotherapy treatments! Thank you for your faithful prayers on my behalf! 

7 comments:

  1. Hey, Laura,
    You inspire me! Thanks! Your courage, your love for the Lord, Mark, your family, always remind me of what's really important in life. I am glad you are being honored!'Excited that you finished Round 3!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Laura,
    See you have already not wasted your cancer. Congrats about the recognition, very much deserved! Sorry about all the yucky side effects, try to sleep away the bad days.
    Love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! You are such an inspiration! I admire your strength, courage, and faith while walking in this season of your life. God Bless You! We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We will be adding your name to the list soon as you and Mark are already on Our list...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Laura - You have been on my list of those who inspire me ever since I met you over 5 years ago. I am so inspired by the way you live your life. Your never fading beauty that comes from deep inside your heart and shines out through your eyes and your smile, your honesty, your courage, your deep love for everyone other than yourself. I'm so glad you are being honored, you deserve it! Thank you for encouraging me by being you! Lots of love, Mari

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really neat site, inspirewoman.com !
    It will be a well deserved recognition.
    1/4 done, whoooo hooooooooooooooo !!!! :-)

    Sleep, rest, eat, sleep, eat,rest.... sleep... relax, sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have definitely inspired us! Praying for you daily!

    Much love,
    Rebecca and Jim

    ReplyDelete