Thursday, June 4, 2009

Good News!

After several days of progressive bad news, we finally received good news today!  The PET scan did not show any spread of the cancer!  The cancer was seen in the one tumor and in only one lymph node beside it!  This is amazingly good news!  It is still considered a stage 3 cancer and will be treated with the three prong protocol of radiation, chemotherapy, and surgery.

We met with the radiation oncologist today who explained all about radiation therapy to us.  I'm not sure how much of what he explained I actually absorbed, but here is what I know so far.  He plans to do 28 days of radiation combined with chemotherapy.  Monday through Friday, five days a week, for 28 days.  There are some common side effects of this treatment including fatigue, nausea, cramping and diarrhea.  He told me to invest in Gatorade.  This all sounds eerily similar to my experience with the colon cleansing project!  I'm looking forward to some fun days ahead!  

We will meet with the medical oncologist tomorrow afternoon to learn all the fun facts about chemotherapy (said with a small dose of sarcasm).  

Following the weeks of radiation and chemotherapy I will get a 4-6 week break to heal and then have surgery to remove the tumor.  Everything we are doing now is to decrease the probability of a recurrence of cancer in the future or the "seeding" of cancer cells in the surgical site.  The idea is to kill the cancer cells before the surgery.  

The good news is I am now the proud owner of a "Radiation Therapy Parking Permit" and my very own Radiation Therapy bar code check-in card!  Not everyone can say they have those!!  

The bad news is I will not be able to swim or sit in the jacuzzi during the weeks of radiation treatment!  How will I survive a Houston summer without the pool?  

Song in my head today:  "All my delight is in you Lord.  All of my hope, and all of my strength..."

"But you, O Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, and the one who lifts my head high.  I cried out to the Lord, and he answered me from his holy mountain.  I lay down and slept.  I woke up in safety, for the Lord was watching over me...Victory comes from you O Lord.  May your blessing rest on your people."  Psalm 3


14 comments:

  1. All I can say is GOD IS GOOD!!! I am so happy for that news...I know that you still have a tough road ahead with the chemo, radiation and surgery but you have the most awesome support group praying for you world wide...Not many people can say that!!! (See two things most people dont have...the radiation card included)
    We love you and are still praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,

    You were the first person in my thoughts when I woke up this morning. I prayed for you and thanked God for using you to awaken me spiritually. You are loved.

    Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Laura,

    I attend Kerrys church and just found out about your diagnosis. I will be praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,

    What an amazing woman you are! And I am so happy for the good news you received today. My daily prayers have been for you and your family. And, it would appear as if God has heard our prayers all around the world. I will continue to pray for you, and good news will continue! With love - Sarah Springer

    ReplyDelete
  5. I woke up thinking of you this morning and I was so happy to read the good news. I will continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I have learned the secret of being happy at any time in everything that happens" Meek and Strong is Laura!!
    Much Love! Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love "watching" the way you are facing/dealing/going through this "battle"! Standing with you in prayer...you have the VICTOR living within you!

    I would say that if you like scarves and cool dangly earrings - now you will get to have fun with them. I had a girlfriend that always liked the "hippie" style look and then got the chance to try the look. TOO CUTE! And her hair came back with curls and different color...very pretty!

    Have a beautifully wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. God's timing is perfect! Praise Him!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura,

    I am so happy to hear about your good news! Our family is praying for you and I have called in all of my prayer warriors on your behalf!

    Once again, you are leading by example. Thank you for sharing the bad along with the good.

    We love you,

    Wendy Critch

    ReplyDelete
  11. DEAR SWEET LAURA,

    I THINK ABOUT YOU EVERYDAY AS I GO TO WORK AND PRAY FOR YOU IN MY DAILY PRAYERS ASKING GOD FOR STRENGHT,POWER,AND HEALING FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

    WHEN I READ ABOUT YOUR GOOD NEWS, I PRAISED OUR AWESOME FATHER.

    STAY STRONG AND KNOW THAT OUR HEAVENLY FATHER IS WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AND KNOW THAT WITH OUR PRAYERS AND LOVE YOU WILL GET OVER THIS HURDLE THAT LIFE HAS DEALT YOU AT THIS MOMENT.

    TAKE CARE AND SEE YOU AT CHURCH.

    HAVE A SUPER DAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praise God from Whom all blessings flow!!!! I love you my sweet friend.
    Kaye Larberg

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dancing the happy dance. This is such great news. I don't know if you realize it, but the battle you are fighting is not only a battle against cancer, but a battle of encouragement for the rest of us. You are an inspiration Laura. I knew COF was the place we needed to be because of you and Mark. But your strength, faith and total trust in God has taught me so much more. We love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. When we heard your wonderful news I did my happy dance.(tracee) God is such an awesome God. We love you, thank you for your wonderful smile and joyful personality.

    Love the Leach Family

    ReplyDelete