Thursday, July 30, 2009

Just relax!

One of the things that I have been told repeatedly over the past nine weeks: "Just go home, relax, rest, you're going to be fine. We are taking care of you." 

There are a couple of strange things about that statement. 

1. Really? You think I'm going to relax? I have cancer! Obviously the speaker of those statements has not personally experienced this diagnosis.

2. They tell me to relax and then slowly every form of comfort and relaxation in my life is stripped away for one reason or another - reading (I can't concentrate anymore), comfort foods (can't eat them!), hot showers (radiated skin can't handle it), swimming (radiated skin can't take the chlorine), sitting in the sun (chemo prevents it), exercising (hand foot syndrome won't let me), walking (hand foot syndrome again).

Relax...right.

But the most amazing thing happened... even as everything was stripped away I found myself totally relaxed, completely at peace. With nothing left to hang on to, nothing left to depend on, God proved himself to be all I needed. How many times have I read that? How many times have I heard that? But now I know deep down inside. God IS enough. He IS all I need. He truly is El Shaddai, the all-sufficient one. 

God, please help me hang on to that truth as we walk through all that lies ahead. Thank you that you are and always will be all I need.

"My grace is enough; it's all you need. My strength comes into its own in your weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

1 comment:

  1. I stand hand in hand with you in agreement with your prayer 'God, help Laura hang on to the truth that you are El Shaddai, All-sufficient One. Pull her through with a supernatural sense of knowing deep in her heart that you have her completely covered and you are her victor. Thank you God that You alone are all she ever needs and as this day unfolds, grant her day to be blessed tremendously by you in ways that her eyes can see- - Thank you God, in the name of Christ bring her body to complete restoration and curse the cancer in her body, rebuke it and it will shrivel and be gone forever.Amen

    ReplyDelete