Thursday, May 6, 2010

Stand Firm


One of my favorite stories in the Bible is a story found in 2 Chronicles about King Jehoshaphat.  I have always loved this story because it is a story of God’s power at work in the life of his people.  Several armies had banded together and were coming against King Jehoshaphat.  Instead of running in fear, or surrendering to the enemy, listen to what Jehoshaphat chose to do:

“We will stand in your presence…and will cry out to you in our distress, and you will hear us and save us…For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you. 
And they stood there before the Lord.”

When I was first diagnosed with cancer it took my breath away. I didn’t know what to do, how to react, how to respond, how to move. And I remember praying that same prayer one day: I don’t know what to do, but my eyes are on you.

One of the songs we sing at Community of Faith is called The Stand by Hillsong. The chorus of this song says this:

I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the one who gave it all
I'll stand
My soul Lord to you surrendered
All I am is yours

That became my battle cry. I’ll stand. No matter what happens, I will stand and declare that you are God. I might not be able to do anything else, but I’ll stand and declare that I am yours, come what may.

When Jehoshaphat and the people of Israel stood before the Lord listen to what God said to them:

“Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s… Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you.

Then Jehoshaphat bowed with his face to the ground and all the people of Judah and Jerusalem fell down in worship before the Lord.”

I love that! God's people focused their eyes on Him and they stood. They stood there and watched God perform a miracle. They stood there and watched God win the victory. And then they bowed to the ground to worship this great God! 

A beautiful story of an even more beautiful God. I hope you'll stand today. And I hope you'll worship. He is a God of victory!

3 comments:

  1. I will stand! :) Thanks for a beautiful post!
    Sometimes fear of being alone and in the battle alone can take over our mind... but once we just focus...focus...focus... we can release that fear to God and all is well. Peace and might to help us stand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura,
    You don't know me, but I work for the CEO Forum (your dad is on our Board). I have read your blog since your diagnosis and prayed for you often. I just want to "thank you" for being an inspiration to me and an encouragement throughout your journey. The Lord shines through you (even online!) and I am most blessed.
    In Christ, Diane Clement (diane@ceoforum1.org)

    ReplyDelete