"The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners."
He talked about the fact that there is only one who can heal a broken heart; and I started thinking about the word used in this passage. It says that Jesus will "bind up" the brokenhearted.
We "bind" things for specific purposes:
- We bind things to hold them together, to prevent all the pieces from falling apart
- We bind things to keep them in order
- We bind things to allow them to rest and heal
- We bind things to provide strength and support to them
- We bind things to shape and mold them
When Jesus binds up our broken hearts, those must be the things he is trying to do for us. What a comfort to know that whenever I find myself in the middle of heartbreaking circumstances Jesus is the one who will bind up my heart. He will use those situations to shape and mold me.
"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." Psalm 147:3