Sunday, May 9, 2010

Relay for Life

Friday afternoon Mark and I hopped in the car and headed out to Waller, Texas. For those of you who have never been there, it is a small town outside of Houston with a very big heart! The Waller County Relay for Life is an annual event here. The whole town comes together to raise money for the American Cancer Society to fund research to find cures for cancer. 


This was the first time I had ever participated in such an event. I was given a purple t-shirt to wear with the word "SURVIVOR" in large white letters on the back. As soon as I arrived at the stadium people greeted me and congratulated me. It felt like we were family. I registered at the survivors table and was given a bag full of gifts. 


The Boy Scouts presented the colors, a local high school student sang the national anthem, and Mark prayed to begin the event.  All the survivors lined up at the 50 yard line to be recognized. I won the prize for "Most Recently Diagnosed" and was given a sash to wear, as if I were Miss America! And then, with the song "I'm a Survivor" blaring over the speakers, we made our way around the track. It was a surreal moment.  I was walking with the cancer survivors. It was hard to believe, especially since I still have a hard time believing I actually had cancer! People were standing around the track with balloons, cheering for us as we walked by. Luminaries lined the track in memory of those who have gone before us, and in honor of those who fought the battle and won.  


So many thoughts and emotions filled my heart and my head, but mostly I felt incredibly grateful. So grateful for God's faithfulness and his goodness. So grateful for amazing friends who have loved and supported me. So grateful for my family. So grateful to be alive. 





2 comments:

  1. Just a quick note. My wife and I were at church yesterday with our kids Jason and Heather Kargel. It has been awhile since we visited and we just want you to know that we think you look marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! I know it must feel like everything just has been like a great big hug tornado...cancer violently blew in and out of your life rather suddenly and amazingly quickly disappeared and now you find yourself in a relay with other cancer survivors and those profoundly affected by cancer ....must of almost felt surreal...

    and you look good in purple !!!!

    ReplyDelete