Monday, June 14, 2010

Forgetting I had cancer?

Mark and I had dinner with some friends tonight. We shared a lot of laughs and as we drove home I thought to myself, "That was so much fun, I even forgot I had cancer."  That is significant to me. Although I don't want to ever forget where I've been or what I experienced or learned, I also don't want cancer to be a constant presence in my life. I was happy that I wasn't living with cancer lurking in the background or peering over my shoulder. 


But as soon as I had those thoughts, I had these:  "You just spent your whole dinner discussing cancer - symptoms, treatments, side effects, etc. etc. etc.!!  You were eating dinner with another family who is battling this disease!"  I didn't forget I had cancer - but I experienced the freedom to talk about it in all its gory detail with someone else who understood. What a special gift!


Medical update:
I received a call today from the surgeon's office with the results of the genetic testing that was done. All the results came back negative, meaning that I do not have a mutated gene that would make me, and possibly my children, more susceptible to colorectal cancer. That's good news for all of us!!

2 comments:

  1. This whole post is good news good news good news. :-) Good news that you are not in the position of freedom to share and good news that you do not have a mutant gene. Okay so if there is no genetic cause, do they suppose its environmental or what?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me so very happy! Love you!

    ReplyDelete