Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Reciprocity





Reciprocity - a relation of mutual dependence or action or influence





This is my soccer team in La Carpio, Costa Rica. I love every one of these guys. I received an email from their coach, Steve, who is our COF missionary in Costa Rica. His words were such an encouragement to me today:

saw your great news on the FB! I have a smile that will not go away. Can't wait to tell the kids. I did the math and it looks like you're half way through this season. Interestingly enough, yesterday began the second half of our season as well. A big part of our philosophy is that the second half is ours "segundo tiempo, de nosotros". Nobody beats us in the second half. It's our character and our identity. That's when games are won! It is our pleasure and great honor to share this second half together.
Faithfully,

Steve


They are wearing blue for me as they fight this battle with me. What an awesome and humbling thing to be the recipient of their love and prayers!




This past weekend we had the privilege of hearing Mark's dad preach at Community of Faith. He shared from the book of Galatians chapter 6 and spoke about God's desire for us to carry one another's burdens. These guys are a great example of what the Bible is talking about. They have faithfully prayed for me all these months. They pray for me before every game, and they play their best in my honor. They lift my spirits and give me courage and purpose to keep fighting.


We were challenged this weekend to look for those in our lives and in our communities who might need help carrying their burden this week. They are all around us if we will only look. Maybe they need a simple smile, a hug, a note, or words of kindness from me this week. Maybe their need is greater - food, medical care, transportation, housing, employment. I am passing the challenge on to you today. What would God have you do? 


For many years Mark and I and Community of Faith have been helping the children and families of La Carpio carry their burden. How sweet it is now to have my burden lifted in return by these sweet friends! When you give, you are always the one blessed in the end. The Body of Christ in action is an amazing thing to witness!


This week's memory verse:


"Carry each other's burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2



2 comments:

  1. Laura,
    When I saw that pic of the boys in a huddle on facebook earlier this week it took my breath away! It's absolutely precious! This whole story is...I can just imagine God's smile as he looks down on those precious boys crying out to him on your behalf! The exchange of "carrying each other burdens" over the years between you and them makes me smile. Even though I haven't had a chance to visit them yet, I'm so glad to be a part of the relationship that is happening in Costa Rica. Now I absolutely can't wait to meet them! The second half is certainly yours (and theirs)!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW !!!! Power in their prayers no doubt about it! Truly breathtaking!

    I will take you up on your challenge! :)

    ReplyDelete