Saturday, December 26, 2009

The "wonder" of Christmas

Mark and I had a great Christmas! It was nice not to be sick this week and to be able to enjoy time with family, friends, and with our church. The only thing missing was David and Sydneyann! They enjoyed Christmas with family and friends at home in Los Angeles. 


But somehow all the recent "big events" - Thanksgiving, Graduation, Christmas - bring with them thoughts of wonder. Not the "wonder" of Christmas, but the "wonder" of cancer...


I wonder how many more Thanksgivings I will share with my family?
I wonder if I will see Ashley's graduation?
I wonder if this will be my last Christmas?
I wonder...


As I lay in bed on Christmas Eve, trying to fall asleep following five great services at Community of Faith, I was "wondering". And then music started playing in my head. An old hymn that I learned growing up. God's peace washed over me again as He reminded me that all is well. I can trust Him. No need to wonder anymore.


"Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him,
    How I've proved Him o'er and o'er,
    Jesus, Jesus, Precious Jesus!
      O for grace to trust Him more."



(Tis So Sweet To Trust In Jesus" by Louisa M.R. Stead, 1882)


Lord, please give me the grace to trust You more. You have it all planned out and you only do what is best for me and for my family. You can't do anything else. 


"...he remains faithful, for he cannot deny who he is." 2 Timothy 2:13


"In you our fathers put their trust; they trusted and you delivered them. They cried to you and were saved; in you they trusted and were not disappointed." Psalm 22:4-5


2 comments:

  1. "Hold us in quiet through the age-long minute
    While Thou art silent, and the wind is shrill:
    Can the boat sink while Thou, dear Lord, art in it? Can the heart faint that waiteth on Thy will?" --- Amy Carmichael - Toward Jerusalem

    Love and Hugs and Love and Hugs and Love and Hugs!!!!




    and one more HUG !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Guys!
    Just wanted to wish you avery Merry Christmas
    and A Very Happy New Year! I have been thinking of your family, these Holidays.
    I have given thanks quite often, for finding
    your wonderful family and church. I pray everyday, your health to get better so you won't have to go thru this no longer. We love
    you Laura and your family. Please know that
    you are always in our hearts and prays every
    waking day. Have a good New Years and hope
    you and the family had a Good Christmas.
    I know God's hands are on you and will keep
    you from pain. Love your church family members
    Marie and Bill Greenleaf

    ReplyDelete