Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Remission

This is the first time I've ever had cancer, so there are some thoughts and expectation that I had that have proven not to be true. One of those things was the idea that I had about being in "remission." That always seemed to be the initial goal for any cancer treatment, and it is. But for some reason I just assumed that when a cancer patient reached that status that it must be a huge momentous occasion, that there would be some great announcement made with lights flashing and music playing. (I have an active imagination!) Well, that may be true for some cancer patients, but that's now how it happened for me.

In the course of ordinary conversation with the oncologist on Tuesday he happened to speak those words, that my cancer is in remission. No one had actually spoken those words to me before, actually used the word "remission." It was surreal to hear it after three months of such intense and rapid diagnosis, treatment, etc. I didn't hear much else that he said, my brain stopped on those words - my cancer is in remission. Who would have thought it could happen so quickly?

So, this is the big announcement, just in case you hadn't already figured it out from the pathology reports: MY CANCER IS IN REMISSION!!!!!! Goal #1 accomplished!

My brother, Steve, has the pleasure of doing a colon prep tomorrow for his colonoscopy on Friday! The risk of colorectal cancer for my immediate family members increased with my diagnosis. This will be Steve's first colonoscopy. Please join us in praying that he will be able to drink all the Golytely Thursday, and that his colonoscopy on Friday will be clear. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. Praying for his prep to go smoothly tomorrow and that the colonoscopy will come out clear for him! I am doing my prep on Monday and mine is scheduled for Tuesday at 930a so pray I get over this crud before then! Love you and so glad your cancer is in REMISSION!!! GOD IS GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. REMISSION is a great thing! I'd like it better if we could just say, "IT'S GONE"...never to return!!! That is my prayer now!!
    Those of you out there planning your colonscopy.....Awesome!!! Those who haven't yet......"get er done!!"

    Paula P.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So after you hear back regarding the need for or no need for further chemo... lets say there is no need for it ... are you free and clear to just go on with life... what happens next to a person in remission????? Does life go back to "normal" ... I know you still have Betty but, her days are numbered... do you work on rebuilding your immune system at home and continue life as you get stronger and stronger with only check ups... do you have to have frequent colonoscopys?

    I just have to say... since you mentioned Steve... tell me he has a CD somewhere of him singing??? Point me to it so I can buy one. His voice is amazing. I was just in awe. It was like having a superstar singing at the funeral... amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura,
    I am not surprised by your remission because I sensed that God would do just that for you!
    Praise Him from who all blessings flow!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, am not surprised to hear that you are in remission. I am a firm believer in 'all things happen for a reason'. Most of the time we don't know the reason and won't until we get home. But, Laura, I firmly believe that in your case, that Our Lord knew that He could count on you to keep looking up to Him, even during your darkest hours, for your comfort, strength and refuge. Someone, somewhere, out there is looking up at this time because of your faith and trust in Him! Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete