Thursday, August 12, 2010

A Sacred Treasure

I knew when we returned to Houston that we would be jumping back into the frying pan so to speak. I knew we would hit the ground running. But I didn't really expect things to be as crazy as they've been since we got home.  We've been on the go non-stop!


Last night, after a good cry upstairs in my girls' rooms, grieving the fact that they no longer live at home, I crawled into bed at 11:30 p.m. thinking to myself, "I survived another day." Mark was still busy counseling some sweet COF friends.  Thankfully, I slept hard.  


I awoke to the sound of my alarm clock calling me to another busy day.  I sat down to spend some time in prayer and Bible study, thinking to myself, "God, why did you choose me to live this life and to be in this position?  You know I'm a weakling... You might have chosen better..."


I opened up my devotional book, "Jesus Calling" and - no joke - this is what it said:


Come to Me when you are weak and weary. Rest snugly in My everlasting arms. I do not despise your weakness, My child. Actually, it draws Me closer to you, because weakness stirs up My compassion...

I have gifted you with fragility... Accept this gift as a sacred treasure: delicate, yet glowing with brilliant Light. Rather than struggling to disguise or deny your weakness, allow Me to bless you richly through it.


And then I looked down at the Scripture references listed at the bottom of the page and smiled. How great is my God!  Isaiah 54:10 was one of the verses for the day - none other than my very favorite Scripture!  It's so like God to do that for me! 



" 'Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed,' says the LORD, who has compassion on you."


Thank you, God, for meeting me where I am today. I am amazed by you again! 


2 comments:

  1. Man oh man...do I know how you feel...
    we just moved Sarah, the youngest, out to her own apartment, and when Amy goes back to UT our nest will officially be EMPTY. Torn between being incredibly sad (where on earth did all that time go) to being SOOO excited about this new phase of life. God is good...He always gives us new beginnings doesnt he?? I've made a decision to just EMBRACE the change! So glad to hear you are doing so great....I still pray for you!
    love ya,
    debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way. I should be excited Andrew graduated from A&M which I am, but I am sad that phase is over. Well, not the tuition part! All of our kids will be in the Dallas area as of next week.
    God is so good to give us just what we need when we need it! Thanks for the reminder!
    Still praying!
    Ellen
    St

    ReplyDelete