Friday, August 13, 2010

Hair Update

Our dog, Biscuit, is Maltese. If he were well groomed, he would have a long soft shiny white coat of hair. This beautiful top coat would cover the undercoat of shorter hair that grows close to his skin.

One of our cats, Shadow, has a thick long coat of shiny black hair. Most of the year it looks like velvet until she starts shedding in the summer. If she is not brushed daily her gorgeous coat becomes a mess with the hair matting down to her undercoat, a layer of short hair close to her skin.

I never really gave much thought to the fact that my precious pets had a topcoat of fur and an undercoat of fur. That is until I noticed the same thing happening on my head! I was so happy when my hair stopped falling out! Then I was so happy that I had new hair growing in. Now... well... I have a topcoat and an undercoat!

My topcoat is dry, dull, brittle, faded, graying, and very thin. Super attractive! My new undercoat has grown in about 4-5 inches. It is very fine, soft, and CURLY!! This new development has made it difficult to do anything with my hair. It is thicker on my head and much thinner hanging down.  The new baby hairs are very unmanageable; most days they stick out all over my head doing their own thing. Some days, I want to wear a t-shirt that says, "Yes, I know what my hair looks like!" I told my girls that I was going to title my photo album from Costa Rica "Chemo Hair", as a way of explaining all the photos! 

So, if you see me around, and my hair appears to have a life of its own, know that it is a work in progress! For now, I'm just happy I have hair!





2 comments: