Monday, August 23, 2010

Divine Love

Last week I was reading my Bible and came across an incredible verse. I'd read it before, but for some reason it really hit me this time. Maybe it was the translation I was using, or maybe it was just something God wanted me to see now.


"I have hope when I think of this: 
the Lord's love never ends. His mercies never stop."  
Lamentations 3:21-22

I love that! His love NEVER ends! His mercies NEVER stop! 


Have you ever turned on the faucet in your bathtub, and then got busy and walked away and forgot to turn it off?  What happened?  That's what this verse makes me think of. Imagine I have a cup and I have a bottomless pitcher. I start to pour into the cup, I keep pouring and I never stop. What would happen? First the water would fill up the cup, it would get to the brim, and then it would spill over. It would begin to run out over the table, then spill over the edge, getting the carpet wet until it was saturated. It would trickle across the floor and begin to fill up the room, eventually making its way out the door and down to the street... 


I think you get the picture. That's how God's love is. That's how His mercy is. It never ends. God never turns it off. It is constantly pouring out all over me, filling me up; and then it spills out of me onto everything and everyone around me. It's like a faucet that is never turned off. 


And water, poured out, changes things. It moves things, It covers things. It carves rivers and canyons. God's love, continually poured out, does the same thing. It changes us, it moves us, it covers a multitude of sin, it carves the landscape of our lives so that things are never the same. 


What an amazing gift - divine love poured onto me, continually, daily, surrounding me, covering me, carrying me, changing me! Thank you, Lord, for your mercies that never stop! Let it pour!


Women of COF

1 comment:

  1. And it refreshes others too!

    Thanks for sharing!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete