Wednesday, March 17, 2010

PET scan

Today I had my first post-treatment PET/CT scan. The PET/CT scan is more accurate than a PET scan or CT scan alone. The two scans are put together to form a more complete picture of what is going on inside of the body. I am thankful that this is the scan my oncologist chose to have done.

I woke up this morning with praise music playing in my heart and in my head. It was there every time I woke up during the night last night. I did not feel nervous or worried at all. Mark and I actually made it to the appointment on time which is very unusual for us! 

The same man who performed my original PET scan last summer was there to greet me today. He let me take pictures of the lead lined equipment. They tested my blood glucose level (it was normal) and then injected me with a radioactive glucose solution. I spent the next hour in a small dark room resting and giving my body time to absorb the radioactive solution. I was then led into the room with the scanning equipment. I was positioned and strapped onto a narrow table with my hands over my head. The technician left me alone in the room. 

For thirty minutes I was moved in and out of the scanning machine. I was very careful to be still, but after several minutes in a cold room, even with a warm blanket, my muscles start to twitch, my mind starts to inch toward worry. I recognize the drift and begin to repeat Scripture and sing praise songs in my mind. I pray repeatedly that the scan will show that God has healed me, but I also pray that if there is anything the doctors need to see that this scan will show it to us. 

When I am finished they give me a little gift bag including snacks. I am starved and dive in. They tell us that the radiologist will read the scan this afternoon and that my oncologist should have the results sometime Thursday or early Friday. I make a mental note of when to start calling the oncologist if they haven't called me first. 

Mark and I drive home where I fall asleep on the couch for two hours. I guess I was more stressed than I thought I was. I kind of want to just sleep until I get the results. Tears come. I am ready to know if I can go on living, or if I will have to continue fighting this disease. 

Comforting sign on the door where I spend my morning.

Comforting lead-lined box where they mix the chemicals to be injected into my body. Please note the small lead tubes to the left of the box. These are the tubes that will hold the syringe that will be injected into my vein.

Comforting tray of supplies used to make me radioactive!

Comforting chair where I spend an hour resting.

Me, making a statement by wearing my "I beat cancer" socks today.
God, please let it be true!

Thank you to all of you who were praying for me today! Your encouragement means more to me than you'll ever know! I'll let you know the results as soon as I know.


  1. Didn't call you today, but I was there with you in my mind. So surreal I know to have them pull viles from a lead lined box and then inject the liquid from those viles into you. Just always remember in those moments when the techs leave the really are not alone. All those people who love you are right there praying as God holds your hand. Love you! Debbie

  2. The socks are so cute but I really honed in on the shoes. Love em! They look sassy and comfy all in one!
    Your going to be just fine! Your healed! Bob snuck in the back door and took residence but he's gone for good. *POOF* :-)

  3. Are thoses your happy dancing shoes?

    You are and have been covered in prayer from head to toe and I am confident that the scan will reveal the power of GOD, prayer and those HE has used to heal you have won the battle!

    Love you Laura!
    Paula P.

  4. That's're never alone...God's got you!

    Love, hugs and prayers, Jeanne

  5. Te amamos, Laurita! Nunca te olvides que oro por ti siempre.